WHAT PEOPLE HAVE SAID ABOUT THE FESTIVAL SO FAR! click here
BAFTA WINNER ANDREW CRUICKSHANK ATTENDING THE FESTIVAL! His first big success was the music he composed for the short film Ruby for which he was named as Best Composer in the BAFTA Scotland New Talent Awards in 1998. Originally for string quintet, it was first recorded by members of the RSNO and Andrew has orchestrated some of the music specially for this Festival! Among other numerous activities, Andrew is a jury member at the International Festival for Young People in Belgium. For more information please visit: www.andrewcruickshank.com
TIM WILLSONE APPOINTED ASSOCIATE CONDUCTOR! Talented oboist and young conductor Tim Willsone has been appointed Associated Conductor at the festival. He will assist Chief Conductor Derek Carden with concert programming and orchestral performances - especially with the Hastings Sinfonia. We are very proud to welcome Tim to his new position!
* HASTINGS PHILHARMONIC CHOIR AT THE FESTIVAL! The renown Hastings Philharmonic Choir has recently confirmed singing at the Festival once again. They will be premiering several compositions, including a beautiful work by Composer in Residence Nobuya Monta from Osaka, Japan.
* HASTINGS SINFONIA WILL BE THERE! The recently founded Hastings Sinfonia has now confirmed playing at the Festival. They will be joined by selected members of the Osaka Concert Orchestra, traveling all the way from Japan to play new works by composers Nobuya Monta, Robert Draper and Polo Piatti under the leadership of London conductor Derek Carden. Don't miss it!
* WINCHESTER CONSORT CONFIRMED! We are very excited to confirm that the Winchester Consort will be singing at the next festival! This is a great development that will enrich our rich list of fantastic artists performing a this year's edition of the festival. The Winchester Consort is considered to be one of the best choirs performing in the Britain at present!
* HOWARD BLAKE COMING TO THE FESTIVAL! It has now been confirmed that renowned composer Howard Blake ('The Snowman', 'The Avengers', etc.) will be attending the festival as well as presenting one of his truly wonderful works! Don't miss this unique opportunity to meet one of the greatest composers of our time!
"Blake had studied composition at the Royal Academy of Music, only to fall foul of the orthodoxies of the time. "It was awful. Everything had to be avant-garde. Suddenly wonderful composers like Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov were considered beyond the pale," shudders Blake, who railed against "squeaky-door music" to such an extent that he was abandoned by most of his teachers and told by the principal that he would never make it as a composer..." (Extract on an article about Howard Blake by Hilary Whitney published in The Telegraph, London 11 December 2006)
* PATRICK HAWES ATTENDING THE FESTIVAL! We are absolutely delighted to be able to confirm that composer Patrick Hawes will be attending this year's festival once again! Maestro Hawes, one of the UK's most talented and successful composers will be present during the performance of one of his wonderful compositions on the Opening Night. A real treat!
* COMPOSER PETER BYROM-SMITH APPOINTED! York based composer Peter Byrom-Smith has been appointed a Hastings International Composers Festival Official Representative ! Among other things, Peter will be helping with the promotion of the festival, especially in the North of England. We are extremely proud to welcome Peter to the team!
* ROBERT DRAPER COMMISSIONED! Sussex composer Robert Draper has been commissioned to write a special piece for strings orchestra for the 2013 festival. Watch this space!
* RICHARD SUMNER CONFIRMED! Historical novelist & broadcaster Richard Sumner has now confirmed details of his highly expected talk at the next Composer's Festival. After his very successful dissertation on Plato and the subject of Beauty, his 2013 talk will be entitled: 'Immanuel Kant - Why We Humans Are Human - A relationship to our emotions'. As always, Richard Sumner's lectures, which are followed by a very lively questions and answers session, are both extremely enlightening and inspiring. Don't miss it!
* AN OUTSTANDING SUCCESS! The first ever International Composers Festival was launched in Hastings, England, in August 2012, becoming extremely successful over night! This has been possible because of the incredibly amount of talented composers, conductors, musicians, staff and friends working very hard to create this new and exciting event. Now we can only hope that enough people and organizations will support this unique event in future so that it can continue growing!
* SEE THE PHOTOS click here
* SEE PREVIOUS NEWS click here
* 2013 COMPOSER IN RESIDENCE NOW OFFICIALLY APPOINTED!
Renown Japanese composer Nobuya Monta has been officially appointed the festival's new Composer In Residence. Maestro Monta will be composing a new orchestral work especially created for the next festival. He will also travel from Osaka to be with us at the festival in Hastings!
Maestro Nobuya Monta, answering questions from the audience at the previous International Composer's Festival